|Heck yeah, helmet went to Ecuador in my carry-on!|
Even more devastating is losing a person you love to a TBI.
It’s often left out of the equation because it falls into the category of "things that happen to other people," like malaria & plane crashes & armed robbery: awful, yet somewhat abstract. Until we become one of those people.
How do I know? Because I became one of those people. My love, my future, my everything…vanished.
But this post isn’t about me or the story I still can’t write. This post is about opportunity & hope for countless futures, countless moments that can continue to shine thanks to you.
|Sexy 2010 Solo (Pics of You)|
August 1st, 2015 marks the 5th Riders4Helmets International Helmet Awareness Day. It has grown & inspired remarkable progress, literally around the world; equine retailers & helmet manufacturers have joined the team to offer huge inventory sales.
You can find the Master List here.
All of this makes an easy-to-use, well-designed, thoroughly-tested (raises hand) safety essential even more accessible no matter what your discipline or income bracket (waves again from the bottom of that barrel).
- Want a fresh new look? The options have become almost limitless. Customize, airbrush, & bedazzle to your heart’s content! Sport an understated accent piping for the hunter ring or don Western leather to match your trail saddle.
- Go straight from schooling to show ring on a budget. Gone are the days of the white mushroom (although I flew one all the way to Australia & back for noggin protection during residence Down Under)! All your favourite brands have lighter, cooler, more diverse redesigns – in technicolor! I tried out Troxel’s new Intrepid last year & I can’t believe how comfortable it is…for less than $60!!
- Never owned a helmet? It’s not like insurance: yesterday’s actions don’t matter & no one holds a grudge. Your local store reps will be thrilled to help you find the style & fit you love; if you don’t have one nearby, I’ve spoken with dozen of friendly voices from online retailers like Dover & SmartPak. Many will allow you to order multiples & return at no charge, as they should, since YOU are priceless.
Ah, the final bastion of hold-outs. Which I refer back to the beginning of this missive. For your “choice” is not truly yours alone. Do you have a significant other? A best friend? A parent? A sibling? Offspring? Take a moment & consider the responsibility inherent in any caring relationship.
Particularly if you yourself are a parent – even aside the obvious, that EVERYONE should wear a helmet -- children are dependents. Where will yours be if your horse simply stumbles at the wrong moment & like far too many I’ve known even locally, you suffer a catastrophic open skull fracture?
Yes, that’s a dire image, but it’s a very real one. Horses bring a myriad of risks & we can’t negate them all, but this is, pardon the cliche, a no-brainer.
Don’t let yourself be caught in the complacency trap of “I don’t gallop over giant logs or anything,” either.
- Ask my wonderful dressage trainer, experienced at PSG, who’s had surgical repairs to shattered ankles TWICE…while walking trained horses on flat trails.
- Ask my neighbour, whose leg just spent 8 weeks in a cast with pins…after his trail horse slipped walking down a hill.
- Ask me, who landed on my head two years ago…because Encore, STANDING STILL, suddenly felt like something stung him in a meadow.
The Point Is…
Even if you don't want to do it for you, do it for the sake of those who love you. For them, for me, the greatest gift you can give is sticking around.